Saturday, March 22, 2008

Are Easter Eggs Art?

Why we dye, or color, and decorate eggs is not certain. In ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome and Persia eggs were dyed for spring festivals. In medieval Europe, beautifully decorated eggs were given as gifts.

What is certain is that many of us dye or decorate eggs. I want to know if you express your creativity in the process, or is it just one dunk of the egg and your done?

I once went through a long process of blowing the egg, this was accomplished by piercing the ends with a pin being careful not to break it and then blowing in one hole and the insides came out the other. I think I had to sacrifice allot of eggs in the process. I next used oil paint and water to marbleize the eggs. They were quite beautiful when finished.

Of the many eggs I have decorated through the years those blown eggs are the ones that I remember the most. I thought at the time they were true works of art!

So, tell me about your egg art. Or, if you have one send a picture of your masterpiece.

3 comments:

jodieandchris99 said...

Hi Kiwi, we picked up a princess egg kit, with glitter and stickers included. We'll send a photo of our finished creations. Hi Papa!

Tom said...

hey, mum. im liking your blog. the egg is a powerful symbol for both welth and reberth or resurection in the case of Christ. just thought that was farly interesting as far as easter eggs as art well I guess it depends on the person and how much attention and commitment is put into decorating them. I used to think I took a bit of effort into colloring my eggs as a kid but after seeing Jessica's family color eggs together I am blown away at there detale and beuty. However I still think that my eggs were masterpeice works of art, at least in my eyes and for me thats all that matters. :D

puzzler51 said...

Hi Kris,
Congrats on the "birth" of your new blog. The egg is a very fitting start. Hope you and yours are doing well. Love to you all.
Jim & Crystal