Wednesday, May 14, 2008

En plein air


Hooray! Today I made my first outing of the summer to paint. I joined a group of local artists at a plant nursery this morning for some En plein air painting. En plein air is a French expression which means "in the open air", and is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors. I am a member of a group that paints outdoors every Wednesday morning during the summer. This is a great group of artists and a wonderful opportunity to join together in the security of a group.

If you have not experienced painting outdoors I highly recommend it. There is noting quite like spending some time outdoors in a beautiful location painting. This is the painting I did this morning. It is quite small, only about 8x6 inches. I thought I should start small till I got back into the grove. I am just pleased as punch to be out painting again!

1 comment:

Tom said...

ohh, very nice painting and glad to hear you are out and about painting again. the colors are very very nice. especialy the door. the interesting part is my eye wants to explore up the hill to the left of the door rather than see what else is behind the door way.