Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Rose in progress - Final Steps


I can now add a variety of gray pencils to create the petals and leaves of the rose. I began in the center of the rose and worked toward the outer edge. I was surprised at the amount of color that is found in some gray pencils. Some of the dark gray pencils have allot of blue in them and so would not work for a black, white, and gray painting. Some of the grays as most of you know, like French Gray's, have allot of brown in them. This was harder than I thought it would be and I had to experiment with different pencil combinations to get what I wanted for value. The background was pretty straight forward requiring only the addition of lighter values as planned. I was careful around the top of the rose to keep the white of the surface where the frost was for I had a special plan for this area.

Once the colored pencil was complete and I was satisfied it was done, I sprayed it with a fixative spray. Three or four light coats. Next I sealed the surface with three or four light coats of Golden Archival Varnish. I added Golden Heavy Gel (Gloss) with a toothpick to the frost areas and before it dried sprinkled a very fine crystal glitter on top. This gives the frost a sparkle when the light hits it. I titled the painting "First Frost".

Experimenting with this painting I learned several techniques I will apply to paintings in the future.

No comments: