Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Art Shows... emotional roller coaster.

My painting of the "Rhubarb" has been accepted into the International Colored Pencil Show.

I entered the international show many, many years ago and did not get accepted. I told myself it was because I was not yet good enough. Many years later I decided to give it another try. Alas, once again I was not accepted. I told myself it was the judge. I entered last years show thinking I would surely get in this time. No, drat foiled again! I told myself it didn't matter, the judge must be an imbecile! I don't need to waste my effort, money, or time.

A friend told me I needed to change my attitude. I needed to start looking at the entry as I have told my students for years "It is one persons opinion on one day". She said I may or may not get in this year or next but I need to keep trying and improving. I decided to enter again this year.

I have mixed feelings about being accepted. I know I should be thrilled but I am not. Maybe it just hasn't sunk in yet, or maybe it is all those years of telling myself "It is no big deal". Then again maybe the pressure is on now to make signature status, I don't know.

I entered the same painting last year and was not accepted. I guess it is true "It is one persons opinion on one day". It must be really hard to be a judge.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Kris, Have a great vacation in Idaho. Take good care of yourself - we all need you and love you. AND bring some good completed paintings for us to see. See you down at LBCC while you are working on you mural.

Love you. Love, Irene