Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Roll Out The Barrel Final Chapter

The day has come to deliver my barrel. It is a bitter sweet parting. After spending the last four weeks getting acquainted and forming a relationship, fighting, and making up, I will miss my barrel, we part as old friends.




One of the last things I needed to do to the barrel was to put some kind of a protective coating on it. It will spend the next few weeks outside the entrance of the Benton County Historical Museum so it needs to be protected from the elements. I decided on a product from Minwax called Helmsman Spar Urethane.

"Helmsman® Spar Urethane is a specially formulated protective clear finish for exterior or interior wood that is exposed to sunlight, water, or temperature changes. It contains UV blockers to reduce the sun's graying and fading effects. Helmsman® Spar Urethane forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture and its special oils allow the finish to expand and contract with the wood as seasons and temperatures change." (from Minwax)

It is also water clean up, always a plus in my book. I chose a "Satin" sheen.

I was 99% sure it would go over my acrylic painting with out a problem but there is always that 1% chance something could go terribly wrong. The first coat was a bit stressful but all went as planed and four coats later it looks great.

Beginning July 2nd the barrels will be auctioned off and part of the proceeds will go to the Philomath Downtown Association and part to the artists. The link to more information and the on line auction is Philomath Downtown Association.

No comments: