Saturday, June 12, 2010

Roll Out The Barrel Part 1



Philomath Downtown Association is hosting a "Roll out the Barrels" art exhibit. I have been chosen as one of the participating artists. Two weeks ago I picked up my wine barrel and we have been getting acquainted. These empty wine barrels will be painted by artists and will showcase the beauty of the region. All the barrels on exhibit will be available for purchase through the Philomath Downtown Association (PDA) website’s silent auction. Minimum bids per barrel start at $100 and bidding will begin July 2nd.

I had some ideas for my barrel but it was not until I actually obtained my the barrel that I could start visualizing how my plan might work. My plan is to paint a panoramic view of scenes around the area on the band around the center of the barrel. I will be using acrylic paint instead of my colored pencils since the barrel is quite large. It is set up in my back deck, much too big for my little studio. (Hint, Hint)

The weather and other obligations have postponed my starting. I started on my barrel yesterday. I began by lightly sketching the position of the major masses with charcoal onto the barrel. This allows me to understand the placement and make corrections as necessary. I then started the painting process beginning with the sky and working my way down and around the barrel. I originally thought I would paint one side at a time but have found it is better if I work around the barrel tying one scene to the next with color and scale.

It looks like another sunny day so I'm off to paint!!

No comments: