Monday, June 13, 2011

Plein Air Time at Last!

It's finally spring weather outside and that means going outside to paint! Plein air painting season is in full swing, not to say any season can't  be plain air but I am one of those fair weather plain air painters. I like the weather to be just right, not too hot, not too cold and defiantly NOT raining.

I have been experimenting with my technique this year. I start with a pre-made wrapped wood panel and then add my rice paper or tissue paper gesso sandwich technique to create a random textured surface.

Next I do a watercolor wash or value study in watercolor onto the surface and then apply my colored pencils. Usually I start with Prismacolor Art Stixs and then may add regular pencils since the stix colors are somewhat limited. Sometimes I use Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Water Soluable Pastels.

I was at a local nursery a few weeks ago and did this small piece primarily with the pastels, dry without wetting them. I liked the old twisted willow tree that greats guests as you enter the nursery and have long wanted to do a painting of it so, here it is! 





I then spray the piece with a fixative and then a few light coats of UV protective varnish to seal it and it is ready to hang on your wall or stand it on the shelf!

"Old Twisted Willow" 8 X 10 X 1 inches $160.00


No comments: