Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Plein Air Journey ~ Season Four & Five

2006 and 2007 mark a turning point in my plain air journey. I started out the 2006 season with the fluid acrylics on canvas as I had in the 2005 season but while I was at a retreat in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge I had an "Aha moment" and decided I would combine fluid acrylic with colored pencil.

I randomly brushed gesso onto some museum boards and then applied fluid acrylic in a equally indiscriminate fashion. This gave me a totally haphazaed surface as a "start" for my landscapes.


"Airley Vineyard" is one of my first successful attempts on this surface. The texture and color on the surface made it hard to do a lot of intricate detail thus forcing me to work faster and think more about shapes. (approximately 8X11~ private collection)




This becomes even more apparent in " Under The Vines". I used the technique of negative painting to create the leaf shapes. Original is 8" X 10" for sale ~ $300.00 framed. Custom size prints of this painting are available at Imagekind.


"Yin Yang" is a small 5 X 13 inch painting but it was a major breakthrough in my artistic journey. I was in a private garden and was inspired by the small clover like plants that were growing in a small pond. I worked on the painting and I remember thinking little about the placement of the plants and I did not intend to include the fish swimming among them. As the painting process progressed however the fish just seemed to manifest in the colored background. Viewed from a distance the painting reminded me of the Chinese Yin Yang symbol, thus the title. This painting is in my collection and I do not intend to part with it (one of my Hubby's personal favorites) but custom size prints are available at Imagekind.

2 comments:

Poppa Dan said...

For as long as I've known you, (which would be at LEAST 37 years) I've always admired your talent, devotion and passion for your gift in art. And I'm so glad to be one of the thousands of recipients of those gifts.

Thank you, my friend, for helping to make the past four decades more beautiful in every way.

Daniel Carter

Ayush Verma said...

Nice ones dude!!

Ayush
Wardrobe and Mirror